Hey beautiful people!
Nomination number six?! This is incredible … just sayin’. Thank you SO SO much Rachael @ Dog-Eared Pages for nominating me for the Sunshine Blogger Award! Please peeps … if you haven’t visited her amazing blog yet, go do so! She’s a wonderful blogger, both her writing style and her vibrant personality. I wish I had discovered her site sooner, but I’m glad we’ve begun to connect!
I think I said this last time I was nominated, but I just love the book blogging community! Joining social media for book blogging was a BIG decision for me … I’d seen the rude and snarky remarks made on other platforms such as YouTube and even Instagram in other areas of entertainment. I just don’t care to associate with this … I love living in my own little bubble of fun and kindness and acceptance. But here … you guys just make my day. Everyone is so loving and supportive, even though we aren’t all the same. So thank you all, for making my blogging experience an absolute thrill.
*mushy time over*
What is the Sunshine Blogger Award?
Taken from Rachael’s post: “According to Meeghan, it’s an award given to bloggers who you find creative, positive, and/or inspiring as a way to spread the love and sunshine across the blogging community.”
- Thank the blogger who nominated you.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award in your post/or on your blog.
💫 What’s your favorite lesser known book or series and why?
💫 Describe the best food you’ve ever read about in a book.
💫 Would you rather be a character in a whimsical magical tale or an epic space opera?
💫 If you could change something about your favorite book, what would you change?
💫 Why did you start blogging?
💫 What is your most controversial bookish opinion?
💫 Personal library or public library?
💫 What is your favorite thing about yourself?
💫 What book character would you name a pet after? (and what kind of animal is the pet?)
💫 Where would you go if you could go anywhere within driving distance (like 5 hours max) right now?
💫 Who is your book boyfriend (or girlfriend)?
One. What’s your favourite lesser known book or series and why?
Death and the Arrow by Chris Priestly — I don’t know if this is my FAVOURITE, but I absolutely LOVED reading this book. It was one of those random finds at either a garage sale or a small bookstore. It’s such a great story, with my main complaint being that it wasn’t long enough. It doesn’t have a high rating on Goodreads … and I have no idea why. But to each their own! And I just found out it’s a series, so I plan to read the other books this year.
Two. Describe the best food you’ve ever read about in a book.
All of the treats from Hogsmeade! The description of them, especially in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, sound so delightful and scrumptious! To be honest, the food in general sounds really good in the Harry Potter stories, but Hogsmeade was the number one for me.
Three. Would you rather be a character in a whimsical magical tale or an epic space opera?
Definitely whimsical magical tale. Don’t get me wrong, being in something like Star Trek would be epic … but magical realms are still number one for me. Maybe something like Merlin, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter … anything with magic! Heck, I’d even go with Once Upon a Time. Oh yes … it’s cheesy … but I love it … bring your judgement’s elsewhere!
Four. If you could change something about your favorite book, what would you change?
For Harry Potter, I would honestly BEG her to NOT add Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. I found it completely pointless, as the story seemed poorly done and the characters don’t seem to really match who they were in the previous seven novels. Rather than this … can’t she make a spin off of Tom Riddle becoming Lord Voldemort or about Harry’s parents in school and their transition to the Order? Also … people are going to RAGE when I write this … but I would ask her NOT to have Hermione and Ron together. I’m sorry, but there’s just no chemistry. Hermione and Harry have SO much more chemistry, and I don’t even know if I would want them together. I liked the friendship exploration … but whichever.
For The Outsiders, I just wanted more content! Honestly, it’s beautifully written and one of those examples where my ONLY complaint is I wanted more … I wasn’t ready to let it go at the last page. More diversity ethnicity-wise would’ve been nice, but I guess there’s the time period and location to take into consideration.
Five. Why did you start blogging?
I began blogging after realizing I literally STOPPED reading for leisure. It wasn’t that I stopped loving to read … I just had NO time in undergrad and then even less time during my masters. Then I just kind of stopped. I began gaming more, which I still love to do … but I missed reading. I need some kind of motivation. So my roommate at the time suggested I try creating a book blog — I could review novels and submit them online to help motivate me to read again. Thank gosh I did, for I got to meet all you lovely people and expand my reading variety!
Six. What is your most controversial bookish opinion?
Okay … every time I’m asked this and list items, I find out my opinions aren’t controversial. So let’s make this a fun game. If you WANT to, see my list and tell me in the comments if you agree or disagree with my statements *muah ha ha ha ha*:
- I don’t understand the hype with The Girl on the Train. For the most part, I found it boring with an unnecessary amount of additional content in it.
- At the moment, I don’t see the point of New Adult. I haven’t come across a book that actually feels like New Adult — the novel just ends up resonating with Young Adult or Adult Literature (if you have a good New Adult, let me know).
- Multiple points of view (POV) in a novel are annoying — there, I said it. I’m sorry but it just gets on my nerves! Not always … Bardugo’s Six of Crows is a good example of multiple POV’s done right … but there aren’t many.
- Cormac McCarthy’s The Road is overrated. I did enjoy it, but I don’t think it’s as fantastic and grand as everyone makes it out to be. We study this in school and I didn’t see the point of analyzing this novel.
- Novels with the “cheating but in the name of true love” trope peeve me off. Yes … it’s just a book … but you can HAVE really good contemporary romance novels WITHOUT cheating to be with “the one” …
- Young Adult is NOT a genre — it’s a category (yes, I put it in my reviews but the section is called “age group and genre” …).
- Love at first sight doesn’t make sense to me … because I don’t believe it exists *inserting the gasps for you here*.
This should be fun …
Seven. Personal library or public library?
Why can’t I like both?! I love having my own book collection … not only does having my own library make it easy to pick up a book, but I find being surrounded my literature very calming. But public libraries are fantastic! They’re great for social interactions or simply to escape from reality a bit, and they provide so many services nowadays. From eBooks to physical copies, I’ve saved SO much on books by just borrowing the ones I don’t plan to buy.
Eight. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
I don’t know if this means physically or personality wise, so I’ll do one of each. Physically, my olive skin tone. It SUCKS in the winter because once I get pale, I look sickly. But the summertime? Oh yes! I don’t even need to go out tanning, I just walk to the grocery store and have a tan … and the colour becomes really copper like and stunning!
Personality wise, I love how I find joy in the smaller things in life. Sunsets, water glistening on grass after a rain storm, the smell of wild flowers, blue skies … I actually get those butterfly happy feelings when I experience these things. With a world that unfortunately has a lot of unpleasant events happening, it feels good to see the beautiful parts of the world.
Nine. What book character would you name a pet after? (and what kind of animal is the pet?)
Oh … the pet is most likely going to be a dog … specifically, a mini goldendoodle or a mini labradoodle … THEY’RE SO CUTE! I love dogs in general, but many of my friends have allergies so this is an added bonus.
Okay, I know this doesn’t ask for movies and books … but I’m giving them anyways.
Ten. Where would you go if you could go anywhere within driving distance (like 5 hours max) right now?
Gatineau Hills and hike ALL day … then Chelsea for some CHILL time. They’re both in the same (ish) area and are about 30 minutes to an hour by car, depending on how far out you go. Gatineau Hills is basically a GIANT park area full of multiple hiking paths for all different hiking levels. Chelsea is the most adorable little town in Quebec, especially for anyone who’s a big nature lover. I absolutely adore it!
Eleven. Who is your book boyfriend (or girlfriend)?
Blarg … I don’t know why, but I don’t ever know how to answer this question! Like, I love characters but never really think of them as a partner? Does that make sense? Okay, okay … based on the personality type I seek in real life, I’d have to save either Peeta Mellark (before book three) or George Weasley. They’re both sweet and optimistic characters, looking at the simple yet beautiful things in life rather than the negative and darker moments.
Eleven Questions for You
Out of PURE AND UTTER LAZINESS AND LACK OF CREATIVITY … I’m using Rachael’s questions lol. Honestly, I keep making questions I asked a long time ago so I just don’t have the ability to think of new ones.
- What’s your favorite lesser known book or series and why?
- Describe the best food you’ve ever read about in a book.
- Would you rather be a character in a whimsical magical tale or an epic space opera?
- If you could change something about your favorite book, what would you change?
- Why did you start blogging?
- What is your most controversial bookish opinion?
- Personal library or public library?
- What is your favorite thing about yourself?
- What book character would you name a pet after? (and what kind of animal is the pet?)
- Where would you go if you could go anywhere within driving distance (like 5 hours max) right now?
- Who is your book boyfriend (or girlfriend)?
Modern Witch’s Bookshelf | Fantastic Reads | Beware Of The Reader | Evelyn reads | The Wordy Habitat | Nut Free Nerd | Shalini’s Books & Reviews | WhimsyPages | Thrifty Bibliophile | Ally Writes Things | A Book. A Thought.