Hello beautiful people!
After receiving a NUMBER of buddy read requests from you beautiful lot, I’ve decided to FINALLY write up a proper post on how to Buddy Read!
First of all, there’s technically no real right or wrong answer … there are a variety of ways! However, I’m a rather organized individual who likes to have some guidelines and guidance when getting into something like group reads or buddy reads. And from what I can see with the emails I’ve been getting, so do you lovely people! So here we are!
Let’s just jump right in then.
Definition: What are Buddy Reads?
Buddy reads (or reading buddies) isn’t a new concept … it’s used quite frequently in educational institutes to help formulate an interest in reading among students. According to TeacherVision, buddy reads “… is a program in which two or more individuals read together”.
Another definition can be found on Nothing But Reading Challenges Goodreads Group page:
“A ‘Buddy Read’ has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.”
This group actually has a LARGE number of other ways to buddy read. For the sake of my sanity though, I typically work around the two definitions mentioned above.
Guidelines: How does it work?
If you wish to Buddy Read with me (which I’m ALWAYS up for), this is the typical way in which I conduct the shenanigans:
- The persons involved will select a book and time frame to finish said novel.
- Make sure to discuss start and end dates, and if you wish to have everyone read the same chapters per week or free range reading.
- Decide HOW everyone would like to communicate with one another during the buddy read (i.e. Instagram, Twitter, Email, etc.).
- During the course of the reading, each person will think of a few interesting questions for the buddy read discussion post.
- When everyone has finished the book, each person will answer the selected questions. There are a few ways to do this step:
- (a) Each person comes up with one to two questions and everyone in the buddy reading group answers ALL of the questions (including their own). See example here: A Study in Charlotte with Bookishly Rebecca
- (b) Each person comes up with their own questions for the other person to answer. Once completed, the final post will include your questions to your partner and vice versa. See example here: Kings of the Wyld with Life of Chaz
- Once each person as emailed their answers to one another, each person involved MAY publish a discussion post on their blog if they wish to do so.
- Obviously, this part is OPTIONAL. I will always be posting them unless the person I’m buddy reading with wishes not to participate in the Q&A style.
- When the post has been published, the persons involved MAY pingback one another to help spread the joy!
That’s it! Pretty easy, eh?
Want to participate in a buddy read?
If you’d like to participate in a buddy read, simply message me by clicking the Contact tab on my website. If you have a particular book in mind, make sure to leave that in the request. If you aren’t sure of a book, that’s okay! Either say you’re up for anything or check out my Want To Read shelf on Goodreads to see if there’s something we both have on our TBR!